Is FaceNation the new improved MySpace for music?

Mylinks_facebook Mylinks_tunepak

Mylinks_join_mailing_list Mylinks_shows





Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Big Idea - Better than a Big Budget.

Hi there,

I remember so clearly the first time I stepped inside a video editing suite. It was in my past life as a journalism student and I've got to say, it really turned me on. There's something so amazing about having the tools to create an all-singing, all-dancing (albeit 2 dimensional) world of your own. A clever edit here, an effect and a cross-fade there, some emotive music underneath and my world looks exactly how it is meant to. Not sure if that makes me a computer geek or a control freak. Either way, I love it. Photoshop really does it for me too and most of my cravings until now have been satisfied by this more stationary universe-creating tool.


When I wanted music videos for my first set of song releases, I had to hire professional teams of filmmakers including camera operators, producers, directors, lighting technicians and editors. Hard to believe YouTube only started in 2005, but before it existed, the only place your music video was really going to be seen was on TV, so the production values had to be high.Of course it's still great to work with professionals and have your videos on the box but it's not the only way anymore. And if you're that way inclined, you can have an editing suite on your very own humble home computer.

One of Lady Gaga's recent music videos had a budget of $10 million. And yes, the result is outrageous and impressive. But please have a look at these couple of videos from friends of mine - two different Aussie independent artists.Their budgets were approximately, oh, 100% less than La Ga's and I think they're both fabulous - cute, warm and real reflections of the artists who created them.

and

Nowadays there's pretty much no excuse for an artist not to have a music video. Some are editing together Smartphone footage from their audiences - love it! My goal is to create a video for every song I release on the next album. And you know, I'm starting to harbour positively lascivious thoughts about YouTube's new editing tools (www.youtube.com/create). Mmmm, animation. If you have a great idea for a music video, let me know - I'm collecting suggestions and inspirations!

Cheers, Amanda
www.youtube.com/amandaeaston

1 comment:

  1. Really appreciate your mention of my video...heart, soul & time...lots of time!...went into it. Thankyou soo much for always supporting us Indies....Maz....xx:):)

    ReplyDelete